Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A New Year!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Has anyone else noticed that most of your friends blogs seem to be 'stuck' in November 2007? Everyone that is, except for Alison. Well done oh blogging queen!

But I have to confess I was one of those bloggers. Still, it's a new year and here I am. Back again on the blogging train. I am not even going to attempt to sum up Christmas quite yet. Or tell of our fun at New Year's...... Lots of pictures to sort out and file so I will get to that in the near future. But for today, I am just going to tell you how proud I am of Zachary. And how amazed I am that he kept an idea so fixed in his head (for over a year).

Last year Zachary told us he wanted to participate in the Polar Bear Swim at Elk Lake on New Year's Day. We told him no, and probably made up some story about him being too young! Let's be honest, we just wanted to spend the day in our pyjamas. All was forgotten about this until about 2 weeks ago on the way home in the van. I told the kids they both needed to have a bath that night and Zachary said "I would like cold water in mine please. I need to practise." "Practise for what?" I asked quizzically. "For the Polar Bear Swim" he said, almost confused that I would have forgotten his dream.

Well, on January 1st at Elk Lake at 2pm, there we all were. Kelly, Steve & Vicki came out to watch as Zachary and Darrell headed into - and quickly OUT OF! - the water. I am very proud of my son. Not that this is a huge achievement of course, but mostly that he was so excited about doing something so ridiculously crazy and adventurous. Kelly has it on video so I will try to post that once she's passed it on to me.

Here are some pics from before and after. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Getting prepared for the 'big' race!

The cold walk back, and Kelly right there with a blanket:

Yay! Done!

5 comments:

Louise said...

WAY TO GO Zachary! (and way to take your dad with you!) How come no one had a blanket for poor Darrell though!? I would love to still be blogging but can't log in other than to leave comments! It sucks... so here's to computer wellness in 2008! Happy New Year :)

Sarah said...

Lou's blog is officially updated.. check it out!

I wonder how many people go into cardiac arrest at those Polar Bear swims... good job Z & D!

SoulPastor said...

hey
was there a _______ guy without a little coat....in that picture?

The mom said...

I am proud of you Zachary! Well done my little trooper. Darrell, that is just risky for your health buddy! You are getting too,,, mmmm, old is not the word... Just teasing! well, hope you have much warm water in 2008!

Kelly Sommer said...

Great pics of your vacation. And yes, I am VERY proud of your little climber guy (Z, not D).