Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Blackberries..... Nesting........


You would have to be blind not to notice the plethora of blackberries out this year. They came early - I had two pies already in the freezer by mid-July whereas you don't normally see them until August. So, needless to say, I being the blackberry addict that I am I have been picking since mid-July.

Blackberries have always been my favourite fruit. Not just favourite berry, favourite fruit. I guess it all began back in England where the climate is similar and our family would pick so that my Mum could bake up some crumbles. For whatever reason blackberry and apple pie became my absolute favourite dessert on the planet. If you have only baked apple or blackberry pie, try combining the two. It really is a deluxe combination.

I feel that if God is going to give us free fruit we need to make the most of it and pick away. Tomorrow will be my 2nd lunch hour consumed with this pastime and I actually think even my mother is feeling this 7th trip out to the bushes is verging on the obsessive. I somehow have felt a season of 'nesting' coming on and 6 pies and 7 jars of jam in the freezer later I feel I may have squirelled away enough to keep us in Fall desserts for a while. So - if you need me I'll be in the prickles. Talk to you after the rains come and turn it all to mush......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rach!
I'd just like to say I love the colour of your background...it makes me think of berries!! Did I tell you we went to Walmart in Airdrie today? Kelly is coming tonight....and we are going camping in Montana this w/end. Its mike's b'day tomorrow and I don't know what to get him? Remember we talked about people who always change the subject? weird folk eh?
Anna Mason :)

Anonymous said...

Rach,
where are all your other photos? I mean, i love the berries....but your kids are much cuter!

Anna Mason Again xxx

Anonymous said...

Hello Blogger Buddy,

Wow what a nice site. Mine is pitiful after I see all your cool stuff on here. I better get cracking.

Michelle