Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Cowboys are Gone.....


Did I tell you that the cowboy crazy seems to be finally over? Well, it is. And I have to admit, I'm having a bit of a hard time about it. My son at age 2 developed a fascination with all things cowboy. People said it was a phase that would last 6 months but it was more like an obsession that lasted 4 years. He had everything - chaps, leather boots, cowboy hat from Calgary etc....... he watched Davy Crockett, had more guns than I cared to admit and forever would be putting on 'rodeos' for us in our living room. Highly entertaining. But alas, the day came when cowboys no longer held Zachary's fascination - and instead he turned to Star Wars. Not that it is on the same scale you understand, but lightsabers now reign supreme in our house and every towel that is clean has been turned into a Jedi's cape or hood. I never thought I would actually say this, but I miss the guns.....

Well so far this weekend has been quite fun. I got a phone call late Thursday night from my cousin Dennis who lives in Vancouver. He works for an MLA there and wondered when a weekend at Hotel Richmond might be in order. Turns out this weekend was as good as any so he jumped on the ferry and headed over. I come from a very small family so Dennis represents 50% of all of my cousins - the other being his brother Brian. As Darrell comes from a Mum who had 5 sisters and a Dad who had 11 siblings, this is a foreign concept to him. Now truth be told, I didn't have much to do with Dennis until the last couple of years. We are 13 years apart so apart from him handing out programs at my wedding in '93, we haven't had much contact until just lately. But it's amazing how family members can bring out the most honest in you, and a level of humour that only other members of your side of the family really understand.

Saw my friend Jeni's band, Counting Heartbeats, this evening downtown in concert. It was fun and they had great energy on stage. Brooklyn danced with her friend Hannah and did their 'rocker' hair - this is where they take out all elastics and clips and bang out their heads in the air to the music. People try to tell me that Brooklyn got this from me - I strongly disagree. Yes I like a guitar with lots of distortion but never once did I ever mosh/slam or ride the crowds in concerts. I always saved that stuff for my living room......... And yes I did have rocker hair in the 80's but didn't everybody? I mean, you can't listen to Heart or Alannah Myles without having tall bangs or wings.Well, it's been an exhausting week - lots of events/visitors/family stuff/late nights so I think I'll hit the hay and call it a day. Til next time.....

1 comment:

Louise said...

Hey Rach - I almost shed a tear for you regarding the cowboy... I see hats, bandanas, sherriff badges and stick horses on a daily basis, along with the booming "Howdy Partner" & "Yee-Haw" - makes you realize how fast they grow up and to cherish every moment all the more! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog! You write how you talk and as I read, I can almost see you chatting away with your hands moving to the story! Miss you! Louise