Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Frustrated....then Sore....then not so Frustrated

So the Times Colonist 10km race went off without a hitch. However, it was a frustrating one for me. As a run it was not good - I started having pain in my right thigh, aggravated by jumping onto a curb to overtake a slow lady. So, at about 7.5 km, and after having run with Steve Yeats that whole way, I had to start walking. I'd walk for 30 seconds then run for 2 minutes. Walk for another 30 seconds, walk for 4 minutes. Frustrating as I usually run straight for the hour.

Needless to say, I crossed the finish line feeling a tad dejected. Race was still fun, but didn't feel victorious if you know what I mean. Imagine my surprise to find out I had somehow knocked off 2 1/2 minutes from my time last year! Doesn't make any sense, except that maybe I started out too fast. Truth is, I don't have the mental game to be highly competitive. I just don't operate that way. Some people would be extremely focused and push through the pain. I prefer to live the next day.

So, I took it a bit slower but still had a p.b. Once the pain in my leg leaves my body I'll give it another go. Maybe at the one in July, we'll see.

Anyhoo - not much else going on around here. Literally relaxing on the couch a bit. Singing at PAOC district conference tomorrow night and Brooklyn's dance recital on Saturday. Should be fun.

4 comments:

Louise said...

Didn't realize that conference was in Victoria - I think my pastor is there! I'm with ya on the "rather live to the next day" mentality! Who cares about winning!? But great that you met your goal of beating last years time :)

the OAK tree said...

I totaly get the whole thing with the TC race. I don't do it any more I prefer smaller races...Esquimalt 8 k is so much fun to many people in the TC race. But 2 and a half min off is still great.

FooFooBerry said...

Glad to hear the run went well and I think your smart to listen to the pain in your body. Good for you for beating last year's time.

Sarah said...

yes... I mean the ones that Darrel's Omie made! We loved those slippers and I wore mine for a long time! Wish I still had them, but I don't know what happened to them! I will have to see if I can find the negatives and send you a copy.