Saturday, October 02, 2010

Tea Anyone?

On Wednesday of this week my Grandma turned 90.  NINETY ! Amazing.  She and my Grandad (93) still live on their own in a Sidney apartment and go downstairs to the communal dining room for lunch and dinner.

For her birthday my aunt flew in from Alberta and was joined by myself and Brooklyn and 2 of my Grandma's friends as we took the birthday girl to the Empress hotel for Afternoon Tea.  Shockingly, despite being English (which almost makes this tradition seem like a birthright....) I had never been to the Empress for tea.  But at $55 a person, I'm sure you can understand why.

It was absolutely delightful.  The food was delicious, the tea hot and steeped just like it should be and the table settings were impeccable.  And Brooklyn had the 'Princess Tea' on her own 2 tiered china platter!!  It was sooooo cute and she was so excited to go.  (Half-way through our time she whispered to me "I thought old people would be really boring but their stories are quite hilarious aren't they Mum?"..... haha)

Have you ever had tea 'adorned' with Pringles ??

Brooklyn and my Auntie Celia



This was Brooklyn's plate but we all received an individual jam jar.
Everything on Brooklyn's plate was mini; mini scones, mini sandwiches etc.  It was absolutely adorable.  And everyone was given a box of Empress Tea to take home with us at the end of the 90 minutes we spent there.  Not to mention the lovely tones coming from the pianist in the lobby.




Flowers from my sister

The birthday girl

2 comments:

Louise said...

How fun! I miss the high teas with the girls that we occasionally had @ the White Heather & Blethering Place in years gone by! My mom has been to the Empress for tea but not I...
My Granny turned 90 on October 1st :)

Sarah said...

Fun! I went to the Empress for tea with Anne K and Marita S. one year... probably 13 or 14 years ago. I don't think it was $55 back then, but it was still pretty pricey. Looks like you had a fun day.

What a coincidence - my Granny turned 90 on Oct. 1st, too :)