Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Outdoor Life

Well, the first week of school is almost over but the sunshine is hanging on. I've been enjoying the outdoor life for a good six weeks or so now. I have always loved my sundeck but since Darrell extended it this summer (way to go babe!) it's been extra-awesome. I don't think I've eaten more then 4 meals indoors in two months. Breakfast on the deck is the best.

This past Monday we ended the summer holidays with a day at our friend's cabin on Lake Cowichan and spent almost the entire day sitting on the dock. As they came back from the first trip out in the boat, Oliver & Brittany explained that Zachary, who had been riding on the boat, was dying to go wakeboarding. This of course made me laugh as Zachary doesn't know how to swim yet (well, only underwater). As a previous-almost-twice-drowner, the thought of sending my un-swum 7 year old out into the dark depths of the lake was crazy. But I tried to be the bigger person as everyone chipped in to attach the boom, and Brett (God Bless You!) explained to Zachary how to hold on. Zachary asked if I was coming in the boat to which I replied "No way - I want to watch you from the dock as you whiz by me on the boat! I'm so excited". Fact is, I knew that I was at risk of passing on my 'is this a good idea' vibe to him if I stayed in the boat.

As it was, my son had the time of his life and I got to see the biggest smile on his face as Brett helped hold the down the boom and Zachary concentrated on keeping his feet on the board. It was a great time with great friends.

And I would post the photos but since my friend Oliver - photographer extraordinaire - has not sent them to me yet, I'm afraid you will have to wait.

Joy up.

No comments: