Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Reality Bizarro-world

Ok, I have a confession to make in the world of TV viewership. I'm not one for much reality TV. I've enjoyed half of an American Idol finale and seen one or two seasons of the Apprentice but on the whole, I avoid the whole genre.

Which is why it might surprise you to know that of all the reality shows I DON'T watch, the one that I DO is a bit on the edge of tacky ...... Ok so it's a LOT on the edge of tacky.

I need to confess that I am a fan of Dog the Bounty Hunter. Not even a slight fan, but have watched back-to-back episodes with a gleeful delight and a twinkle in the eye awaiting the inevitable 'catch of the day'. Dog - or Duane as he was born - is a complete human anomaly. He was a murderer, jailed and released, has many children by various mothers but has turned his life around and now catches bond-jumpers. But the most fascinating part of this show is the family dynamics. He has his son, brother and wife on his bounty team and all of them add a colourful glow to the program. Like the time Dog chased down a criminal across the highway, threw him to the ground while calling him a **** mother bleep-er. And then, when he calmed down and threw him in the back of the SUV, told the guy he needed to straighten up for the sake of his kids, needed to be a good father and needed to find the Lord. Yes, needed to find the Lord.

This is a family that huddles together to pray before heading out to find a fugitive but then swears at the criminals like a bunch of sailors. Honestly, at first I hated it, but I've been won over.

Now don't even get me started on Orange County Choppers - another classic. Family dynamics at its best. If you've never seen Mikey backtalking his Dad after a huge family business fight.... you haven't lived.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love OCC too!
Tricia

DCUK said...

You're mad . . .